[vox-tech] Kernel debugger

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:06:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Nicole Carlson wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Can anyone recommend a good kernel debugger?  I have module code to debug.

Amit Kale has an opinion and references to discussions:

 http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/whichdebugger.html

I have not debugged any kernel modules (yet).  I would probably debug as
much as possible using test harness in userspace, and then use kdb to
avoid the "Heisenbugs" effect. Then again I don't plan on writing large
amounts of kernel code, either.

In the past I have been spoiled by hardware debuggers, and been punished
by having to fight an 8086 without one.  In the latter case, I ended up
building a software debugging environment blind just to be able to
make progress.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing