[vox-tech] Is mozilla going to finish compiling sometime this week?

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 21:26:53 -0700

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:41:11PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 May 2002 06:32 pm, Ryan wrote:
> > I've never compiled it before, is it normal for mozilla to be taking ov=
er 3
> > hours to compile? It doesn't look like it's running in a loop.......
>=20
> D'oh, forgot to mention what CPU I have. It's a 700 celeron.

I have heard tales that when Mozilla was first released, builds took >12
hours. (I have not tried to compile Mozilla myself.) So I suspect no build
loop in your case. Keep in mind that compilers running on fast CPUs are
IO-bound. How fast is your hard drive? My all-SCSI system is a big help when
I compile. Mozilla is written in C++, correct? In my experience, g++ is
extremely memory-hungry. If you do not have much physical RAM, your swap
performance may be a bottleneck. YMMV, of course, and be happy that you are
compiling for an IA32 machine, not an Alpha or a PowerPC :-).

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>