[vox-tech] Mysteriously Expanding Home Directory

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 20 May 2002 10:28:14 -0700

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 11:59:05PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
[...]
> Reluctantly I rebooted the computer, just on a whim.  The bootup process
> noted some corrupted files and I had to run fsck / as root to fix the
> broken files.  When the system was up and running again, I found that I
> had to reconfigure Evolution for some reason, as if it had lost my user
> information.  All of my mailboxes and filters as well as old e-mails and
> contact and calendar information were in place still, fortunately.  I
> also ran df -h again and saw that /home is back down to 44%.

A possibility is that some process is madly stuffing data into a temporary
file that has been unlinked but keot open (and consequently not freed). This
would explain why the space reappeared after a rebootm since files with no
hard links are freed when the file descriptor closes. Alas, I don't know how
to detect this condition, though I expect the answer lies somewhere in /pro=
c.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=