[vox-tech] Soundcard/Modem conflict: Results of Mike's May 5th instructions

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 9 May 2002 03:45:19 -0400

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 11:11:03PM -0700, Gregory Weber wrote:
> But is there some way to pipe this to a file or my printer so that I don't
> have to write it down manually and rekey it????

Greg,

  Oh my gosh.  I had no idea anyone would write that stuff down and
retype it... there are two main methods of saving the output from a
bunch of commands (I prefer the first one).

  "script" is a handy command to save everything that goes into and
out of a terminal to a file.  It starts up a sub-shell, so you have to
exit once you are done typing the script.

----
script output_file_name
# then paste the commands you want to run with the mouse
exit
----

  Otherwise you can create a bash script of the things you want to do,
and the following will save the stderr and stdout of the script when
it is run.

---
# paste the commands you want to run to a file named run_me
bash run_me &> output_file_name
---

  Whichever way you go, you email the contents of output_file_name.
If you have trouble you can save the file to a floppy disk with
  mcopy output_file_name a:
and use some windows program to mail it...

  Unfortunately I would like you to run these commands using one of the
two methods above...
=============
for l in /dev/ttyS[0-3]; do setserial -a $l; done

grep -vE '^#|^$' /etc/isapnp.conf

cat /proc/isapnp

ls -l /dev/modem
ls -l /etc/*/*local
ls -l /etc/*local
ls -l /etc/rc.boot
ls -l /etc/isapnp.conf
ls -l /dev/ttyS*
=============

> By the way, I can communicate with my modem. I sent the string "ATDT" with a
> phone number to dial.  The ATDT woke the modem up, although it wouldn't dial
> the number I'd instructed.

  Please describe more.  If you send "AT" and the modem responds
quickly with "OK", then the linux to modem stuff is working.  If you send
"ATDT5551111" and you don't hear the modem dial, then I would check the
cable (and do things like switch the phone line to the other jack).

- Either way tell me what the modem returns when you try to dial a number.
- If messing with the phone cable doesn't work try the following:
  "ATX5"
  "ATDT5551111"
  report what happens.

Btw: use you ISP's phone number.

> 1.  for l in /dev/ttyS*; do setserial -a $l; done
>
> This produced screen-after-screen of information that I was unable to slow
> down & capture.

  This should not be the case... unless maybe devfs is setup with backward
compatible "make things as they are referenced" type support.  I'll keep
this in mind next time, the following would have done what I wanted.
  for l in /dev/ttyS[0-3]; do setserial -a $l; done

> I manually ran setserial -a on /dev/ttyS0 - 9.  Here're the results for 0-4
>
> S0: Line 0, UART16550A, Port 0x03f8, IRQ:4
> S1:  Line 1, UART16550A, Port 0x02f8, IRQ:3
> S3: Line 3, UART Unknown, Port 0x02f8, IRQ:3
> S4: Line 4, UART Unknown, Port 0x01a0, IRQ:2

  Okay so the modem appears to be /dev/ttyS1, 0x2F8...

> 2. grep -vE '^#|^$' /etc/isapnp.conf
>
> (CONFIGURE USR0101/1388330562 (LD0
> 	(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02F8))
> 	(INT 0 (IRQ3) (MODE +E)))
> 	(NAME "USR0101/1388330562[0]{USRobotics Courier V.Everything}")
> 	(ACT 7)
> ))

  Although there are typos, it looks like the modem is being configured
correctly for /dev/ttyS1.

> 4. ls -l /etc/rc.boot
>
> No such file or directory.

  Oh yes, you are not running Debian, I vaguely remember modifying some
"rc.local" file... but I don't have a file like that here so I'm looking
for it in the new set of commands up above.

> 5. ls -l /etc/isapnp.conf
> -rw-r--r--     /root    root     12363   April 21, 16:59  /etc/isapnp.conf

  Good this file has not been touched.

    Later,
      Mike