[vox-tech] Multiple IPs on one system

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 3 May 2002 16:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Marc Hasbrouck wrote:

> Actually what is going on here is that one IP (the
> dhcp one) is being served by my firewall and the fixed
> one is for use on my internal LAN only. The firewall I
> have gets the WAN info via dhcp and then passes that
> on as a dhcp server for the LAN.

This was not clear to me before.

> I want a fixed address to do local net installs from.
> If packets won't get routed back correctly to the
> local requester, then I may have to use brute force.

Replies in a single TCP session initiated by the client will work.  It is
subordinate TCP connections that could have problems, and not all clients
will be secure enough to notice the discrepancy anyway.

> The brute force method involves the server having a
> second NIC on a different subnet and changing the
> client's address for the NFS operations (Net install /
> upgrade). Then the client's IP would be changed back
> to match it's use on the LAN.

With respect to routing, IP Aliasing is indistinguishable from using a
second NIC connected to the same physical network.  Since you are only
looking for local service (not internet routed services), you can use
custom routing rules to solve the problem.

If you have a good firewall, you should be able to use dhcp to assign
fixed IPs based on MAC address.  This would give you the most succinct
solution.... one ip address.