[vox-tech] Multiple IPs on one system

Ryan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 3 May 2002 09:03:31 -0700

On Friday 03 May 2002 08:48 am, Marc Hasbrouck wrote:
> I want to have server with two IP's on the same
> subnet. So far, my attemps with two NIC's don't work.
> To get any kind of connectivity, each NIC needs to
> talk to a differnt subnet.
>
> What I want to do it this:
>
> eth0 - dhcp to get my name isp's name servers from the
> firewall/dhcp server. No server service requests
> (Samba, NFS, or FTP) allowed in.
>
> eth1 - in the same subnet, but a fixed address outside
> the dhcp range with server services running against
> it.

It sounds to me like you're using one nic just to get the nameserver, why=
 not=20
just set it manualy?

Unless this a firewall, you can use just one NIC.

Linux has a nifty feature that allows a NIC to have multiple IP addresses=
,=20
which can be quite useful. Just configure the interfaces eth0:0, eth0:1, =
etc.

Perhaps it would be easier to have your dhcp sevrer give a static IP base=
d on=20
the hardware address, below is a snippet of my dhcpd.conf that you can us=
e.

An easy way to find your hardware address is by running `ifconfig` as roo=
t=20
with no arguments

#dhcpd.conf
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
=09range 192.168.0.65 192.168.0.254;
--- snip ----

    # fixed addresses handled by dhcp
        host mobile {