[vox-tech] DevFs is breaking things....

R. Douglas Barbieri vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 1 May 2002 23:31:45 -0700 (PDT)

There is a way to do that in the /etc/devfsd.conf. Here is a sample for
the cdrom device in my devfsd.conf file:

LOOKUP ^cdrom$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink cdroms/cdrom0 $devpath

You may be able to use the DELETE keyword first to delete the hda1
directory. Of course, there could be an entry in your devfsd.conf file
that's causing this strangness in the first place.

***

I posted something a while back to vox-tech detailing how to actually
preserve the state of your /dev partition without having to alter the
devfsd.conf file. (/me searches vox-tech archives--ah! there it is!).
Add the following to the top of your rc.sysinit script:

# Find this at
# http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html#persistence
#
echo -en "Mounting dev filesystem: "
/bin/mount --bind /dev /dev-state
/bin/mount -n -t devfs none /dev
echo
/sbin/devfsd /dev

You have to make sure that the dev partition is *not* mounted on boot
(make sure this is turned off in the kernel, or just supply the
"devfs=nomount" kernel argument).

Once rebooted, you may do as you did eariler: remove the /dev/hda1
directory and then symlink it. On reboot, your state should be preserved.

Doug