[vox-tech] New Distrobutions Virus Alert + humor

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:42:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, nbs wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:38:31PM -0700, ME wrote:
> <snip>
> > Check your BIOS settings and look for an option about antivirus control.
> > These options often check for attempts top modify the MBR and sometimes
> > attempts to modify NVRAM. For installations of OS, you frequently need to
> > turn off this option. If you plan to run LILO on a steady basis, just turn
> > it off and leave it off. (Opinion.)
>
> Do you mean "run LILO" as in, use it as the bootloader?
> Or simply as in "edit /etc/lilo.conf and then run /sbin/lilo as root"?

Oh, I mean, compile a kernel, install it, modify /etc/lilo.conf and then
run lilo. :-D

I often recompile my kernels several times over their lifetime. one kernel
that is stock with all modules, one with everything that I need built-in,
one with Solar Designer's kernel security patches and modules support and
then one that has his security fixes and no module support.

I "run LILO" often. This kind of BIOS option would bug me tremendously and
I have it disabled on some systems that offer it when running pure Linux.

> I suppose I could google.. but... what IS a CCNA?

I saw you/he answered, so i will skip it. Oh wait! I did not just skip it
and wrote something. Hmmm. Maybe it is time to sing... Oh my darling, Oh
My darling, Oh my darling clemintine *CLICK* *BLAM* *THUD*
[odd snickering the in the background]
As you awake to find yourself in a large pitch-black room and cant see
anything.

 You choose to:
> ignote torch
The torch having been lit you see:
A large dark room with four obvious exits: N, S, E, and W.
You face 2 Beastly Fidos, 1 RMS, 1 Linus Torvalds, 1 Bill Gates.

 You choose to:
> Add RMS
RMS added to your team. All of your equipment is now valued at $0.00 and
your services and wages are $0.00 and your personal license has been
changed. Your code in this MUD has been OpenSourced and Your First name
has been pushed to a new Middlename as your new first name is GNU. You now
have GNU Horns on your head which allows 2 extra attacks per round, but
decrease your Charisma by 10.

A large dark room with four obvious exits: N, S, E, and W.
You face 2 Beastly Fidos, 1 Linus Torvalds, 1 Bill Gates.

 You choose to:
> Add Linus
Linus added to your team. You know have the ability to complete an
infinite loop in 2 seconds, and can code anything right the first time
since kernel code is so difficult to debug. Your popularity has now
increased by a magnitude of 20.

A large dark room with four obvious exits: N, S, E, and W.
You face 2 Beastly Fidos, 1 Bill Gates.
 You choose to:
> Attack Beastly fidos
Before you can attack the beastly fidos, RMS interveins and convinces them
they should not be selling their code based services, but instead allow
them to be offered for free. The Beastly Fidos brains explode, follwed by
a kind of spontaneous combustion.
RMS spell earns your band 300 Experience points.

A large dark room with four obvious exits: N, S, E, and W.
You face 1 Bill Gates.
 You choose to:
> Attack Bill gates

As your band looks to attack Bill Gates, Bill Gates casts a spell and you
are pushed back 10'.
12 Level 10 Demon Lawyers are summoned and attack you with paper.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.
Level 10 Demon hits Linus with a paper cut for 1 point of damage.

Damage to Linus is instantly healed as he is able to download a new copy
of himself from another person's HD who has archived Linus.
New feature added to Linus from OpenSource kernel developers to prevent
damage from papercuts.
New feature added to Linus from Opensource kernel developers to allow
/proc access to other pocesses to modify code on-the-fly previous loaded.

Linus attacks:
Linus gains access to Level 10 Demon /proc/$PID/exe and overwrites with
content from /dev/urandom.
Demon Lawyer Defeated.
[...]

RMS advances 10' and attacks Bill Gates:
RMS casts spell to try to convince Bill Gates to go OpenSource.
Bill Gates counters with "Greed" Spell and RMS spell is negated!

You try to attack, but cannot seem to advance 10'.

A large dark room with four obvious exits: N, S, E, and W.
You face 1 Bill Gates (10').
 You choose to:
> Attack Bill gates

RMS tries to make Bill Gates feel small with a spell to show him how his
greed is undermining the purpose of software: to help people and the
public.
Bill Gates counters this spell buy checking his bank accounts and smiling.

Linus upgrades himself to be fully SMP capable.

RMS casts spell: "It's free!"
Linus is cloned.

Linus attacks Bill Gates for 10 points of damage with consumption of 2% of
total market share in servers.
Linus attacks Bill Gates for 10 points of damage with consumption of 4% of
total market share in servers.

Bill Gates covers his wounds with money and wounds are magically healed!

RMS casts spell: "GNU. GNU. GNU."
and Demon Lawyers are raised as Liches working for free.

Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit
Lich Laywer attacks Bill Gates with government lawsuit

Bill gates is wounded.

Samba Developers join Bill Gates.

Linus attacks Bill Gates for 10 points of damage with consumption of 20%
of total market share in servers.
Linus attacks Bill Gates for 10 points of damage with consumption of 40%
of total market share in servers.

Bill Gates status is critical!
Bill Gates casts spell and is instantly transported to Rendmond.

Your band has defeated Bill Gates (retreated) and is rewarded with 10,000
XP.
RMS, welcome to level 21
Linus, welcome to level 30
Linus, welcome to level 30
You, welcome to level 2
You, welcome to level 3
You, welcome to level 4
You, welcome to level 5
You, welcome to level 6
You, welcome to level 7
You, welcome to level 8

Oh! You read this far? You must be as bored as I was when I wrote this!

-ME  ;-)