[vox-tech] writing free getopt, ran into a dilemma...

Micah Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
31 Mar 2002 00:47:59 -0800

On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 04:45, msimons@moria.simons-clan.com wrote:
>   I often had find alot of interesting (to me) material while digging
> around on things like this.  I would be fabulous if someone could
> point me at a online source for the ANSI C or ISO C standards.  It would
> be cool to be able to site a section for or against various theories.

I do this frequently on news:comp.lang.c - Great place to get your
theories/conceptions trounced :)

>   (Well the technically official standard is something you have to pay
> hundreds of dollars for, which is why it's not available everywhere
> and is part of the reason so many opinions about what it actually
> says exist... but some _through_ coverage would be nice).

I have an electronic copy.  You can download it for $26 (it was $18 when
I got it):

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=ISO%2FIEC+9899%3A1999

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:13:19AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > The one I tried to link statically on Windows one time said it was GPL,
> > but according to Micah it's apparently LGPL with misdocumentation. :P
>
>   readline is GPL, getopt is LGPL... maybe some maintainer got confused?

getopt's license would seem to be debatable - the sourcefile itself
claims to be plain ol' GPL, though the accompanying, seperate license
file claims LGPL.

Micah