[vox-tech] Vim is leaving junk on my command line

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:20:40 -0800

Jay Strauss wrote:

>When you save a file in vi (vim), it normally gives you 2 lines of output
>(above) the command line.  1st line has something to do with the position of
>your cursor (or maybe the number of chars changed), the next line says
><filename>: written.
>
>The "en" of "written" gets printed on my command line
>
>ps i'm using putty as my ssh client
>Jay

Have you tried to make sure you have the correct TERM setting for the
system you are connecting too?

For example when I am using my work linux laptop with Eterm and connect
to a Solaris box I need to set TERM=vt102 before using vi.