[vox-tech] Hardware Question

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:40:58 -0800 (PST)

This video is worth the watch. BURN BABY BURN!:
What happens when a CPU is allowed to overheat?

Ahh yes, here it is:
<a
href="http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-05.html#download_the_first_toms_hardware_test_lab_video">http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-05.html#download_the_first_toms_hardware_test_lab_video</a>

(May be wrapped, converted to html to help avoid this.)

the above is available as a link from:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html
(At the bottom titled:
"Download The First Tom's Hardware Test Lab Video!"
)

A later response from AMD on this was covered:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/01q4/011029/index.html

and

http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/01q4/011029/counterstrike-01.html

where post-cpu sales equipment was installed to help avoid this on their
CPUs. (Diagrams and info included on how-to.)

The videos require DivX, but I had no problem playing them with aviplay
and the DiVX drivers in Linux and an X session:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avifile/

If for some reason they dont have the videos, I still have a copy on my
box that I can make available.

(Intel's Pentiums have a history of bugs too, but there was recently an
issue with Athlon systems, and AGP slots with cards and stability in
Linux/Windows.)

Enjoy!

-ME