[vox-tech] Athlon (was Hardware Question)

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:05:30 -0800

Since everyone is mentioning performance with Athlon's this brings up a
question I had.  This past weekend I purchased two Athlon XP 1700 an ECS
K75SA motherboard (with 256MB DDR2100 Kingston memory), and an ECS K7SEM
motherboard (with 256MB + 128 MB PC133 SDRAM).

I put the motherboards into existing cases as replacement motherboards.
 When the system boots (both systems) the BIOS defaults to recognizing
the cpu as an Athlon 1100MHZ.  I changed the BIOS setting for the bus
from 100MHZ/100MHZ (memory bus/processor bus) to 133MHZ/133MHZ.  The
BIOS then shows correctly on boot as an Athlon XP 1700 (running at 1467MHZ).

The problem is when it is set to 1100MHZ everything boots up fine.  When
I boot to what should be the correct setting of 1467MHZ the system does
not run properly with programs crashing and blue screens.  OK so right
now both system are running Windows 98 (One is for my father in-law and
one is for my wife).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

P.S.  The K75SA system is using a 8.4 GB hard drive and the K7SEM is
using a 3.2 GB hard drive, so I am not sure if it is possibly a hard
drive timing issue or not, since they are only umda33.