[vox-tech] Before I do this...

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:45:47 -0800

i'd have to agree with rusty on this.

it's especially important for people with debian woody or sid.  most of
us upgrade our system multiple times a day.  package updates get
downloaded to /var/.  after a few months of updating your system, all
the cached packages can really eat up some hard drive.

it's much nicer to see:

apt-get: Not enough room to download requested packages.  Try using
         apt-get clean to clear up some space.

than to learn /var is full by getting "filesystem full" errors.

also, we've seen loads of people on vox-tech whose (for whatever reason)
logrotate daemon fails.  perhaps they dual boot and aren't running
anacron?  i dunno.  anyway, it doesn't create a HUGE problem (so i'd
agree it's not crucial).  but at least if /var is separate, you can use
vim without getting pesky "can't open temp file for writing" errors.

the only caveat for making /var its own partition is to make DAMN sure
it's big enough.  there's no worse feeling in the world than having a
system with a /var that's too small.

ok, a hyperbole to be sure, but i'm sure many of us here had the thought
"i wish /var were bigger" at some point or another.

it's especially important for people who are "X-drones".  people who
can't use linux if they don't have gnome or kde sapping up all their
cpu.  with a full /, their system won't even boot if the default
runlevel is 5.

and THAT'S a total bummer.   :-)

so:

* having a separate /var can be very useful but not crucial
* just make sure it's big enough

pete

begin Rusty Minden <clownsinc@attbi.com>