[vox-tech] need to debug boot crash

eric nelson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:16:32 -0800

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> remember that not every "error" is a real error.  for instance, a micro
> channel driver can search your system buses for a micro channel device
> and not find one.  it'll print something vaguely error-ish to screen.
>
> you didn't say if your kernel is panicking or not.
>
> assumming your kernel isn't panicked, you can do shift-pageup to scroll
> up on the console.

Its not panicking.  I'm doing an nfs mount of the os, and something went
wrong init the initscripts.  The shift-pageup is a really good idea, I didn't
know about that.  The problem is that so many errors spewed out that I
coulldn't get far enough back.

> you can also look in /var/log/messages or dmesg | less.
>
> note that most module related errors upon boot don't make it into the
> error log.  some kernel developers are working on that.  there's a good
> reason for it (but i can't recall).
>
> if your kernel is panicking, your options are a bit more limited.  the
> easiest way (assumming you're not henry house who knows how to do the
> serial console thing) is to take a picture of your monitor with a
> digital camera.  however, most kernel panics usually don't print tons of
> error messages for this exact reason.  if the problem is a root
> filesystem that can't be found or a bona-fide "oops", you'll see 2 or 3
> lines of error at most.
>
> note, a very, very, very, very worthwhile thing is to extend the buffer
> that your kernel allocates for the scrollback.  it's in the linux FAQ.
> basically, you need to recompile your kernel and define something like:
>
> #define VIDEOCARD_CAN_DO_32_MEGS

I will do this.  The picture thing is a good idea.  I was finally able to get
a handle on things by putting a call to bash in the first init script.  Now I
can look at the initialization, by putting the call to bash in different
places, and finding where it goes wrong.  Thanks. ;~)