[vox-tech] Network card trouble

Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:36:36 -0800

mike,

a few options:

1. you can bring the laptop to the next meeting
2. http://www.lugod.org/lert
3. http://www.lugod.org/if
4. setting up a network card on linux is /usually/ easier than people
   make it out to be.  here is the flowchart:

1. dmesg | less
2. get the NIC's chipset
3. vi /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.gz (if you use vanilla vi
   you'll need to ungzip this file first).
4. modprobe -a therightmodule

to make it permanent, i would personally compile it into the kernel, but
you can also list it in /etc/modules if you use a debian based distro.

pete

begin Mike Cohen <mcohen@ucdavis.edu>