[vox-tech] Debian X for the new Intel 82810, 4 MB

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:29:08 -0800

I have looked for a patch, solution to this problem as well.  I have not
found one (yet).  I did remember a solution that I used to get demolinux
to run X properly and sent that information to Robin.  I wanted to
forward the information to this list for archival purposes.

# from video card drivers section of xfree86.org:
17. Intel

3.3.6:

     Support (accelerated) for the Intel i740 is provided by the
XF86_SVGA server with the i740 driver, and for the Intel i810 with the
i810 driver.
     The i810 is supported only on Linux, and requires the agpgart.o
kernel module in order to use modes that require more than 1MB of video
     memory.

# from demolinux.org's faq

3. You are using DemoLinux 2.0 on a i810 machine.

     Depending on the version, the device needed to boot in graphic mode
may be absent or corrupted. If
     booting using an svga mode (1024svga, 800svga or 640svga) fails,
then do the following:

         boot using an svga mode, but without launching X. For example:

                           boot: 1024svga 3

         brings the system up in text mode, but with all X files ready
for 1024x768.
         log as root, with no password
         type

                           mknod /dev/agpgart c 10 175