[vox-tech] Re: Masquerading

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:44:08 +0000

whoa, whoa, whoa....

If he's using RedHat 7.2, then he's using the 2.4 kernel
so the firewall solutions listed below may not work.
With the 2.4 kernel there is an option to quit using the
ipchains and move on to the new and improved iptables.

First step, type "iptables -L" then "ipchains -L" one of
these will work and one will return an error. This will
determine how to setup the firewall. Iptables has a
completly differant flow than ipchains. You set up
Nat/masq in a differant place.

Also with newer distro's it is not necessary to use
ifconfig commands in the scripts. Simply set up the
network to point to the appropriate places. This will
eliminate future confussion when dealing with network
settings (hmm... the /etc/sysconfig/networking/ifup-eth0
file has the correct config but nothing's working... I
wonder where else I might have messed with the settings.
Let's start grepping through all my scripts to figure
out what's up).

Martyn, If you can tell me which of the above commands
work, I'll show you a script.

BTW I agree with all other points below. You should set
up the firewall that blocks all traffic then start
allowing specific traffic. Being on DSL and/or Cable
broadband with no firewall is asking for trouble.