[vox-tech] gzip bug?

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:50:45 -0500

Kevin,

  From reading the other material in this tread nothing really
jumps out... but if you gzip and gunzip a file on the same machine
without transferring it and it doesn't work, something is seriously
wrong with that machine, the kernel, the filesystem, or the application.

  But nothing obvious stands out, so here are some possibilities...

- Can you try doing a fsck on the machine?
  (shutdown -F -r now) reboot the machine and cause a check...

- You say you are using a "VFS" filesystem... which I think stands for
  "Virtual File System"... which is just the API layer between the
  kernel and the actual filesystem drivers.  Could you try to report
  which filesystem is really in use via the following...
    send a copy of "cat /proc/mounts" and cd into where you are
  working with the files and run "dk -k ."...

- Can you run md5sum `which gzip` `which gunzip`?
  Perhaps someone running your version of Redhat can verify your
  executables are not corrupted.

- When you say Winzip opens it without problem, did you check the
  tail end of the file for completeness?
  (it's possible that Winzip also found the file corrupted but didn't
   say anything).

- How long have you been using that system?

- Noticed any other applications crash or behave oddly?

- Is the CPU overclocked?

    TTFN,
      Mike