[vox-tech] perl db question

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:49:24 -0800

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:50:10PM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
> I won't go into details, but in summary I'd strongly recommend
> a SQL database for anything much more complicated then a small table
> or two.  I'll list some of the things you should consider if your
> going to do it yourself:

I don't disagree with the wise words from you and Ted about the folly of
rolling one's own data storage system, but Peter's original point, if I rec=
all
correctly, was that he did not want a server-based database (on account of
the administration burden, presumably).

The choice is not just between flat files and a full-blow RDBMS. There are
tools midway in between. Berkely DB version 3 has bindings available for mo=
re
languages that you can shake a stick at, and has efficient binary storage a=
nd
proper locking for multi-user access. SQLite implements a multi-user databa=
se
manipulated in SQL in a library (no server).

On the other hand, I can wholeheartedly recommend PostgreSQL, even though is
is a rather heavyweight server. Pick your worse evil ;-).

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>