[vox-tech] help with signals and C

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:35:03 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> here's how these numbers are generated
>
>    int trials = some big integer;
>
>    while (i < trials)
>    {
>       energy per site += some calculation;
>    }
>    energy per site /= trials*othernumbers
>
> i hope this makes it clear that it can't be a rounding error.  energy
> per site accumulates some large value which gets divided by a common
> factor at the end of the calculation.

It's hard to tell without knowing the dataset (or at least their
approximate range).  If, for example, "energy_per_site"  becomes a large
number relative to "some_calculation" during some part of the loop
iteration, then rounding errors can occur.

I'm curious to see if there can indeed be a non-rounding error explanation
to all this.  Could you send me the complete program with dataset for the
above example?  Thanks!

Mark

--
Mark K. Kim