[vox-tech] gzip bug?

Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:59:01 -0800

hi kevin,

stream of consciousness:

are you saying ALL files on redhat can't be gunzipped?  or only
particular files?  was this file transfered using windows ftp or http?
perhaps it went through a NL/CR conversion?  faulty kermit transfer?
where was the file created?  under a vfat system or under a VFS (linux)
system?

try to use gzip as a filter:

gzip -d <myfile.gz >myfile

this will unzip as far as gzip can go before reaching the CRC error.
it might recover some of your data.

also, can you post the exact error message (always a good thing to do
when asking for help when something complains!)

can you post gzip's version number and mail me (not the list) a copy of
the file you're trying to unzip?  i'll give it go here.

pete

begin Kevin Dawson <kdawson@ucdavis.edu>