[vox-tech] jay and dselect

Matt Roper vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:11:19 -0800

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 12:29:32PM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I'll upgrade to woody (I don't care).  All I gotta do is:
>
> 1) change my sources.list
> 2) apt-get update
> 2) apt-dist upgrade (a couple of times)

This should be "apt-get dist-upgrade"

> 3) learn how to count
>
> Right?
>
> What's the new configuration tool for X4?
> Where is the "XF86Config file" you speak of?

xf86config is the configuration tool for X4, but under Debian you can
also set up X by running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86."

Configuration files for X are a little bit tricky under Debian.  The
stardard XFree86 distribution is capable of reading your configuration
from many different locations (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
/etc/X11/XF86Config, /etc/XF86Config, etc.)  Once it finds a config file
under one of those names, it will use that one and ignore the rest.

Debian allows you to have both X3 and X4 installed on a system at the
same time, so your X4 configuration file should always be named
"/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" in order to differentiate it from the X3 config
file.  I believe that "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" will always
write to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but last time I checked, xf86config
writes to /etc/X11/XF86Config (without the "-4" at the end).  If you use
the xf86config tool make sure that you move the XF86Config file to
XF86Config-4 (or make a symbolic link between the two) so that X won't
continue using your old configuration.

I realize that I probably didn't explain this all that well, but you can
find more information in the XF86Config(7) manpage.

Matt