[vox-tech] jay and dselect

Jay Strauss vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:26:11 -0600

Not at that machine today, but it was (in general) as if , the resolution
was 600x800 but it expected my screen to be 50 inches.  Same ratios with the
other resolutions.

Don't know how to ask X for it's version number.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cam Ellison" <camellison@dccnet.com>
To: <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] jay and dselect

* Jay Strauss (jjstrauss@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Well, I don't remember if I was in the same session.  But, I installed
> (again) on a different system (at work), I read Pete's doc (to which I
have
> some edits).  On my new system I can't get X to work (surprise surprise).
>
> But I ran: XF86Setup
>
> seems to be alright now, except there are too many resolutions, that is, I
> can hit cntl-alt +/-  8 or 9 times to make a complete cycle.  Most don't
> display correctly

Which version of X are you using?  It makes a big difference.  You have to
set up 3.3.6 one way, and 4.0.1 (or 4.0.2) an entirely different way.

What does "Most don't display correctly" mean?  Please elucidate.  It sounds
as though you didn't limit the number of displays (there are quite a few
possible, and I doubt you need them all).

X can be touchy, but as of version 4, installation and setup are a lot
easier,
 not that tweaking isn't necessary.

Cam

--