[vox-tech] 3d videocards with linux.

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:37:45 -0800

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 05:24:27PM -0800, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> Hey Bill,
>
> Where did you find the Radeon 7500 for such a good price? Online, I take
> it?

Yeah, www.pricewatch.com, click on video cards, the radeon 7500's are
starting at $69.00, I then usually find a vendor I like and recognize,
has a working (mozilla compatible) website etc.  Usually from the
first page or two, so I'd prolly end up paying maybe $75-80 + shipping.

> I just made a visit to Frys to scope out prices and found that the Radeon
> 7500 is $149.00.

Yeah, I expect about a factor of 2 from fry's unless it's something
special on sale designed to get people to visit fry's to buy the high
priced stuff.

> PS: That is the board I am planning to get for a new Linux box I'm
> planning to build...

The kt266a is a great linux chipset, I believe it's being replaced by
a kt333 and soon the kt333a, I'd probably get one of them unless I
wanted a dual.  The SIS 735's also work well, and are quite cheap,
I bought mine for $65, and it includes on board audio and network.
The sis900 is now well supported by recent kernels, not sure about the
audio on board, there is a binary driver, not sure about source.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics