[vox-tech] jay and dselect

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:29:33 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Cam Ellison wrote:

> * Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> > jay, i just had a thought.
> >
> > did you _just_ install the system?
> >
> > in debian, sometimes a package won't fully set up because of a
> > dependency issue, just like with rpm.
> >

> Liberal use of:  apt-get -f install
> has always worked wonders for me.

It can really screw you up, too.  I did this once, and ended up with a
semi-broken system.  About a week later, the package maintainer got it
right and an apt-get upgrade fixed it... but I would have been better off
with the old version than a broken one for that week.

>  And Pete is absolutely right about the
> need to go 'round the configuration cycle 2 or 3 times when you first set up.
> It is literally unavoidable, at least in my experience.  After a while, you
> learn what not to include. ;-)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing