[vox-tech] Is dselect still a package?

Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:08:58 -0800

begin Jay Strauss <jjstrauss@yahoo.com>
> > > I just installed debian (again and again...).
> >
> > why would you install it more than once?
>
> When I installed from cd (an old one) X didn't work, when I did it from the
> net it works (but I may have chose different setting)

i was afraid of an answer like that.  you gotta get out of the microsoft
mindset.  i know it's hard to change habits after y number of years.
but honestly, reinstalling debian because X didn't work is ridiculous.
it's like getting a scratch on your thumb and cutting off your thumb in
hopes that a new one grows back.  :)

> > > I was reading about dselect,
> > > but its not on my system,
> >
> > hard to believe.  i hope this isn't an insulting question, but what
> > makes you think it's not on your system?
> >

> :) I thought you meant my question was insulting.
> When I'd type "dselect", I'd get command not found.
>
> I rebooted (after installing perl (unstable)) and now it's there, I don't
> get it
>
> > > I did a apt-cache search dselect but there is no
> > > package called that.
> >
> > sounds like you should read www.dirac.org/linux/debian.
> >

> Going to read it now
>
> > satan# dpkg -S dselect
> > dpkg: /usr/bin/dselect
> > dpkg: /usr/share/man/sv/man8/dselect.8.gz
> > perl: /usr/bin/podselect
> > perl: /usr/share/man/man1/podselect.1.gz
> > dpkg: /usr/share/man/man8/dselect.8.gz
> > base-config: /usr/lib/base-config/60dselect
> > dpkg: /usr/share/man/ja/man8/dselect.8.gz
> > dpkg: /etc/dpkg/dselect.cfg
> >
> > dselect is provided by dpkg.  if THAT'S not on your system, well, you
> > must have burned suse on your debian disks by accident.
> >
> > i'd recommend against using dselect anyhow.  dpkt/apt are a good combo.
>
> I'll use apt, but how do I find out which tree (stable, testing, unstable)
> dist a specific version of software exists?  For example I wanted to install
> Perl 5.6.1.  So I had to add the unstable to my sources.list, then update,
> then search: apt-cache search Perl-5., install, remove unstable, update.
> I'm sure there's a better way.

dpkg -p will tell you this.  it's on that URL i posted, along with alot
of other groovy information on the debian packaging system.

pete