[vox-tech] perl db question

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:00:57 -0800

--TD8GDToEDw0WLGOL

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 04:45:23PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[...]
> i have to admit, having a human readable flat file is kind of sexy.
>=20
> my application is to store dates that certain work is done on a vehicle.
> like a list of all dates/odometer readings of oil changes, brake pad
> inspections, battery electrolyte checks, coolant flushes and stuff
> like that.
>=20
> i don't think this can compare with what commerce sites use databases
> for, but after the years roll by, i'm sure the databases can reach a
> respectable size.  conceivably, someone could keep records on the same
> vehicle for a decade.
>=20
> what do you think?  i'd rather stay away from a server based DB system.
> would DBD::CSV be ok for this sort of thing?

Yes, if only because you can always switch later. Well-written applications
using the Perl DBI and a particular DBD may be ported to other database
drivers with minimal pain.

> btw, anyone else here do their own work on their car/motorcycle?

I do my own tractor maintenance sometimes ;-).

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>