[vox-tech] 3d videocards with linux.

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:17:54 -0800

Anyone out there have a Radeon 7500 and have 2d and 3d working with it?

I'd love to compare a new nforce motherboard (gf2mx on board) with it.

My main goal is 2d+3d in a fairly cheap package.  The Abit NV7m is $129 which
isn't bad considering it has network, 2d, and 3d.  Even the cheaper 7500 +
a kt266a board = $200 ish.

Oh btw the radeon 7500 and 8500 are getting WAY cheaper:
	Radeon 7500's are down to $ 75
	Radeon 8500's are down to $135

Today the 7500 supports 2d and 3d with linux.

Today the 8500 supports 2d only in linux.

The geforce 4's today are unsupported, but allegedly the gf4 driver
will come out tomorrow.

Apparently the extra code necessary to do T&L on the ATI 7500 which
will also be all that is necessary to get the 8500 working is very
close to release as well.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics