[vox-tech] Re: Part Way Into X

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:38:54 -0700

I think you missed something. He said the pattern he saw on his monitor
was moving, and that is *definitely* not normal. I speculate that he
doesn't have a ~/.xinitrc or a ~/.xsession, and so he has gotten the
checkerboarded default X screen, with an xterm in the upper-left corner.
(see `man xinit`)

Because of a misconfiguration in his XF86Config or his XF86Config-4, his
monitors scan is not synchronized with his monitor signal, hence we get
a scrolling rainbowish mess of the scene that he should be seeing which
I described above.

As for the ctrl-alt-backspace problem he described, I don't know what
causes it, but I do know that when the RedHat 7.1 machines in the ECS
labs are functioning *properly* they don't allow ctrl-alt-backspace, and
so I can't use ctrl-alt-backspace to log out users that have
disappeared, leaving their computers logged-in and locked.

The problem with the FTP server I am at a loss to explain.