[vox-tech] Part Way Into X

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:07:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, ME wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> > My Red Hat 7.1 box booted normally to the command line
> > this morning.  Ran startx and hung part way into it.
> > I see a carpet pattern that slowly moves N to S and is
> > composed of diagonal lines in various colors.
> >
> > How do I get out of limbo?  Please keep it simple.
>
> This sounds like a poorly configured X. Has "X" ever worked on this
> machine before? What version of X are you running?
>
> If your background is a grey (up close it looks like a checkerboard
> black/white) pattern, and your pointer is a "X" that moves with the mouse
> or just hangs out int a corner even when you move your mouse, then that is
> one problem. (I read Peter was addressing this in the window manager
> message, so I wont re-state what he has stated.)
>
> If you have multiple colors, odd patterns, black screen with odd lines
> here and there, and/or shifted bit patterns on the screen, then it is more
> likely that the settings for your video card in your XF86Config (or
> XF86Config-4) are not properly done or there is no support for your video
> card in that X server (suggesting an upgrade in X).

Sorry to respond to myself...  If X was running before, then this sounds
very much like a problem I heard about elsewhere with Redhat 7.0 or 7.1:
If you did not explicitly specify a screensaver within your X session and
let is auto-choose, when the screensaver came on it froze your machine -
dead. No ping, not SyKey request nothing.

If this is the case, some have stated upgrading to later RedHats fixed it,
or specifying a screensaver (or disabling screensavers) prevented it.

-ME