[vox-tech] Part Way Into X

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

> begin Jim Angstadt <jimajima9@yahoo.com>
> > --- Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
> >
> > > in the meantime, to kill it, just do
> > > ctl-alt-backspace as usual.
> >
> > Ctrl-alt-backspace does not have any effect.
>
> really?  ok, this is getting suspicious.  come to
> think of it, starting
> X with "startx" is suspicious.  i thought redhat
> boxes always boot to X
> by default?

This box was originally setup to boot to the command
line.  That has worked fine.

> something's wrong.  when you get the chance, email
> this to me:
>
>   * what does your $HOME/.xinitrc contain?
>
>   * what does your $HOME/.Xsession contain?
>
>   * send output of startx 2>sendtopete

Pete, should I just turn the power off, or is there
some other way to get access to these files?

> i'll find anything funny looking and post it to the
> list.
>
> > Also, I cannot FTP into RH as I normally can.
> I've
> > tried my ja id (which is what I had started x
> with)
> > and also my bu id.  No response to either.
>
> i have absolutely no idea what ja id and vu id are.

Of course not.  I just mentioned that to show another
symptom of the problem, ie I could not FTP into the
box as I normally can, using either of two IDs that I
know work.

> so you can't ftp.  can you ping the machine?

Ping times out.