[vox-tech] Apache, IE, error 404

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:34:29 -0700

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:17:38AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> Well, I just tried these two URLs on IE 5.0 after booting up
> Win98 on my wife's (dual boot) machine.  It seems to display
> your stuff OK, regardless of the "friendly messages" setting.

Yes, same here for us, on two different boxen.

It _seems_ that there's already something magical about Apache's config.
on LUGOD.org, _OR_ that IE actually looks at the length/complexity/keywords
within the 404 response HTML to "decide" whether it's already "friendly enough"

Compare:

  http://www.lugod.org/tototo

with the setting on and off   (both cases, you see my nice PHP 404 error)

to:

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tototo

with the setting on and off   (on, you see the generic IE "friendly" 404,
                               off, you see my simply 404.shtml page)

Whatever.   This is why I don't like thinking about IE. :)

-bill!
(discovered that a server-erroring VBScript in IIS still sends a 200 "OK"
response, since I guess they assume all VB coders are too stewpid to disable
the 'friendly error' setting.   Seriously...  I read this at microsoft.com
just now after doing a Google search ;) )