[vox-tech] Perl question: file handling

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:29:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Rod Roark wrote:

> Thanks Jeff, that helps.  But in this case the rename deletes
> a file (with the same name) that's still open (and locked),
> and so the inode is going away, right?

No, deletion does not trigger removal of the inode directly. Only the
elimination of all references to the inode triggers deletion of the
inode.  The rename does eliminate the directory entry pointing to the old
inode, but the open file implies another reference, so it doesn't go away
until that file handle is closed.

> I suppose the OS doesn't care since it was opened read-only,
> but it sure feels cheesy to me.

It feels correct to me.  Any other sequence of operations could allow
another process to get in and stuff data into the file that might then be
destroyed by this process.