[vox-tech] debian virtual install

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:59:40 -0700 (PDT)

hey all,

I'd like to install debian into a non-/ directory on a server that'll nfs
that directory to a bunch of diskless nodes. (booting from floppy or tftp)

Ideally I'd like to do this without having to install on a machine, then
copy the contents of that drive into the server. Something like

dpkg --root=dir --admindir=dir/var/lib/dpkg --instdir=dir etc...

but using deselect (from scratch), or even better, through apt (also starting
from scratch).

I've looked at dselect, and you can set --admindir to point to your
copy of the db, and apt has a --config-file option, to point to a different
sources list. But I don't see anything about moving the root dir.

Is this [easily] possible?

thanks,
-Gabe