[vox-tech] In Denial About These Hard Drive Problems

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:57:35 -0700

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 10:21 pm, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> This afternoon I noticed that my /home partition was expanding
> again [...] (I never did figure out what was causing it).

You need to figure it out.  Look at what's in /home.  Ask
about things in there you don't understand.

> So when I rebooted, I found some root filesystem errors, fixed them wit=
> fsck /.

What sort of errors?  Were chunks of file data lost?  Are=20
the errors explainable (i.e., was the machine shut down
abnormally)?

> [...]
>          # mkdir /var2
>
> ...to which I got this error:
>
>          could not create directory /var2.  Input output error.

You mean can just boot up normally, log in as root, type
"mkdir /var2" and get this error?  Your hard drive may not be=20
long for this world.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/