[vox-tech] XFree86

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:42:22 -0400

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:10:54AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> rusty, please post the contents of your /etc/gpm.conf.

  Pete's going down the right path... a good overall configuration is
for gpm to be attached to the true mouse port like /dev/psaux,
it needs to know the mouse protocol (IMPS2), and it will repeat the
mouse input on /dev/gpmdata even converting mouse protocols on output.
  Then a symlink is created from /dev/mouse to /dev/gpmdata,
and you teach all the other programs that read mouse stuff to
read from /dev/mouse and the protocol type you have gpm converting
to.  This allows you to swap mice with different protocols, change
the input type one place (/etc/gpm.conf), restart gpm and you are done.
  Instead of changing all config files that access the mouse...

  For what I think were software design limitations the psaux kernel
driver, didn't support multiple readers (and may still not)... so if you
had multiple applications open and read from the device at the same time
you got flaky operation (at best) or more likely a machine that would lock
solid.
  So GPM was taught to repeat the mouse data... to work around this problem.
and then to convert mouse protocols ... unfortunately last time I
checked gpm didn't support conversion to "im" style protocol, so you
need to have the repeat type set to "raw".

>> working right. I have a Logitech wireless wheel mouse what settings should I
>> use. I have tried ps/2 and InPS/2 with no luck I have set the buttons
>> according to free86 howto for 4.1. Do any of you have this mouse set up and
>> what settings work best?

/etc/gpm.conf
====
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""
sample_rate=
====

ls -l /dev/mouse
====
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Jun 10 22:48 /dev/mouse -> gpmdata
====

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
====
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
EndSection
====