[vox-tech] How X, Gnome, Sawfish, Nautilus relate (Was re: Pardon me, but...)

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
17 Jun 2002 21:52:27 -0700

Thanks to all for your explanations!  I think I grasp it now.

The older versions of Windows really were just containers for DOS, a
fancy version of DOSSHELL.  I believe it was version 3.0 of Windows when
Microsoft decided that users really didn't need to know anything but the
GUI; by Windows 2000, of course, DOS had been completely emasculated,
and Windows is now nothing but GUI.  Which is a shame.  I personally
really like just digging around inside the command line from time to
time and seeing what I can pull off.

But, anyway...  Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.  I
appreciate it.  :)