[vox-tech] Demo Machine: Stopped Rear Case Fan.

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:50:33 -0400

  A while back I commented that the read case fan had failed.
One of the things I did yesterday was to swap the front and rear case
fans to see if the fan was operational or not.  It turns out that the
fan is 100% operational...

  I think the motherboard isn't suppling power to the back case fan
connector.  I checked the motherboard manual and there is no BIOS option
which may do a temperature based or power conservation stop of the fan
is on.

  Another defect appears that the SMBus chips can not read the
CPU1 Fan speed... I connected one of the case fans (which are
known to report RPM information) to the CPU fan connectors... and
while they spin there is no RPM information available.

- Someone with electrical skills want to test out the three pin
  fan connector to figure out what is going wrong?
- Any suggestions on how to get the fan spinning? (1)
- Has anyone else seen motherboards fail to spin fans like this?

    TTFN,
      Mike

1) Next time I power cycle the machine I'm going to try to connect the
back case fan to the idle CPU2 fan connector... it might just reach.
If that fails I'll look for a standard drive power to mini-fan power
convertor dohicky at Fry's.