[vox-tech] missing init; system unbootable

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:49:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 ryan@mother.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:36:47AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > word up, ryan.  how did you manage this one?    :-)
> >
> > try looking at initrd.
>
> I looked, and it's where lilo says it should be.
>
> I'm thinking that the mount error is the real problem, anyonw know
> what it means?

Check your /etc/fstab. Is the partition that is meant to be your root
actually your root? Is the partition that is meant to be root that is
actually your root specified to be the same filesystem as what /etc/fstab
states?

If that is all fine, then make sure your init is part of your
"/" (root) partition and check it (fsck -t ext2 /dev/....) from an
emergency boot disk.

Are you trying to run an older kernel with a "newer" ext2 filesystem? Some
settings available for ext2 in the linux 2.2 (and later) kernels are not
available to the earlier (2.0 and earlier) kernels. If you had a v2.4 or
v2.2 kernel and are getting this when trying to launch a v2.0 (or earlier
kernel) that is one thing I would suspect too.

As for the error, I have not seen it before, but if your "init" is on that
partition, that would explain why it cant find "init" ;-)

"freeing unused kernel memory" should be unrelated AFAIK. It is part of
the normal booting process if I recall.

-ME