[vox-tech] Which cipher to use?

Joel Baumert vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:38:54 -0700

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:12:28PM -0700, Ryan wrote:

> > > I thought the 5th amendment would prevent that. Am I just ignorant?
> >
> > There are two problems with that argument.  First, it does not protect you
> > in a civil trial where you did not necessarily break the law, but you are
> > being sued (or harassed) for something non-criminal.
> >
> > Second, I'm not sure, but I think that the password can be subpoenaed from
> > you even in criminal matters because it probably is not directly criminal.
> > I guess you could claim your 5th amendment rights by having a password
> > like "I killed Nicole Simpson" and if you were OJ you might be protected.
> >
> > Even then they could probably give you transactional immunity on the
> > password or firewall the password from the prosecution and either make
> > you tell it or hold you in contempt.
> >
> > Wasn't that part of the Mitnick trial??? You would have to ask a lawyer
> > about the second one.
> >
> > When you want to keep something from being subpoenaed, I think your best
> > defense is to have a zero knowledge file system.  My understanding of
> > this is a little weak, but from what I remember each file password
> > combination get equally distributed on the file system.  I think that
> > the prosecution has to ask for something specific, but again IANAL.
>
> It seems to me that asking for a password is about the same as asking where
> somethings been hidden, or asking what's in a safe/wanting something from a
> safe, except that the 'safe' provided by encryption isn't crackable in a
> reasonable amount of time. If they just wanted some records (say, logs of
> what that script kiddie that used my box as a proxy was doing) they don't
> need my password, just the data.

You cannot ask for what is in the safe, but I think the prosecution
could have search warrant for specific items in a safe and a judge
could command you to produce the key/combo.  I don't think your fifth
amendment rights protect you in a civil trial unless you can argue
that you are in criminal jeopardy for something.

I am more worried about a civil trial than a criminal trial.  I think
it is more likely that I would develop software that would cause a
company to sue me than do something on the computer that is criminal.
Dunno, maybe I'm naive.  As our Russian friend found out, the DMCA
does have criminal penalties.

Joel