[vox-tech] book recommendation: php

David Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

I second Rod's opinion.  Of the two PHP books I've tried (Professional
PHP by Wrox and the PHP Blackbook) I've found the content to jump from
basic programming to not-very-helpful-yet-complecated examples.  I started
mostly with the manual, and I still use it every day.  The only downside
of the manual is that if you don't know it exists, you don't know to go
looking for it, and you might find it easier in a good "in a nutshell"
style book ...

Here's an example.  I spent way more time than I needed to writing a
string parsing routine that stipped ascii returns and replaced them with
wanted, I found that php has a function that does just that.

So it all depends on how you work/search.

Dave