[vox-tech] Problem using GUI apps for dialup/PPP in RH7.3

Ron Erhardt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 31 May 2002 20:46:43 -0700

   All,

    I'm not brand-new to Linux (or Unix), but I am new
to getting 'external devices' to work in a GUI environment
under Linux.

HW:
    Sony Vaio P4
    external USR 56K V.90 modem
    (system also has an internal winmodem)

    system is dual-boot with win-me

Problem Notes:
- system is very stable, and I'm able to use most everything
   other than my Epson C80 USB (which I believe I have a
   fix for) and the modem (with GUI apps)
- the 'system' knows the modem is there, and when it's not
   turned on at boot time
- I have (although it escapes me now how I did it) success-
  fully talked to the modem (miniterm, I think)
- I most often use the Gnome GUI, although I've also used
   KDE (prefer Gnome)

    I've checked for all the files/contents that I know about,
but lack a good 'global' picture of all of the files/paths/cont-
ents that *need* to be there for this to all work.

    Any help will be appreciated.

- Ron E.