[vox-tech] Linux in a Heterogenous Network

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 31 May 2002 18:02:59 -0700

On Friday 31 May 2002 04:00 pm, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> I looking for comments on what I should cover on the talk I am doing on
> August 6th.  The topic is Linux in a Heterogenous Network.  Here is a
> slashdot article from today discusing the same topic.
>
> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/05/30/1927237&mode=3Dthread=
&tid=3D126

I'd suggest talking about the different things a Linux server
can do.  Samba, Netatalk, WWW, SSH, LDAP, intranet stuff,
SQL server, app server, etc.

> I think an overview or combination of the Linux for the Office talk at
> DCN would be good as well.
>
> http://www.lugod.org/presentations/linux4office/

Yeah it's kind of hard to talk about one without the other.
I would be happy to discuss ideas with you.

> What are people interested in?  Work/business setting?  Home setting,
> etc...?

I think it's kind of a myth that work settings are different=20
from home settings.  Many of the same types of problems=20
exist in both places, and many of us do work stuff at home
(also in that vein, a mention of FreeS/WAN and other
tunneling tools may be good).

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/