[vox-tech] Radeon 7500 and xfree 4.1

Doug Huckaba vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:25:37 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I'm kinda new at video under linux and I'm not familiar with dri.
I'm having troubles with the basics of just getting X to recognize my
card. I keep getting "(EE) No devices detected."

>From what I've found in usenet land, this card isn't supported under 4.1
at all. But the support is there for 2d and 3d under XFree86 v4.2. I only
fussed with 4.1 for a few hours so I'm sure I haven't explored all the
options (ie frame buffer, etc).

What is DRI and how does it work? I think it stands for direct rendering
interface but wouldn't Xfree need to recognize and support the card to
enable this feature?

This is going on my redhat 7.2 system. It seems that RH 7.3 has XFree86
v4.2 so I'm downloading the iso's (no I didn't follow the whole thread on
the proper use of the apostrophe) and am planning an upgrade. I hate the
thought of upgrading the whole distro for a video driver, but I tried to
upgrade the Xfree rpm's and there were many dependencies on gcc and the
such, so I'm taking the easy way out... besides I talked a buddy into
trying linux and he got 7.3 so I wanted to be somewhat familiar with it.

I suppose I should have pinged the group before I cracked the case to find
out what I was in for... oh well, on to new experiences.

-doug