[vox-tech] can YOU be certified?!?

Tim Riley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 08:51:34 -0700

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Based on observation and the output from the top command, which of the
> following pieces of information tells you that swap space needs to be
> increased?
>
> a) The amount of available memory nearly equals the amount of used
>    memory.

No. This tells you that paging is about to begin.
(I think this answer should be reversed to carry the meaning better.
It should read, "The amount of used memory nearly equals the amount of
available memory.")

> b) The amount of available swap space nearly equals the amount of RAM.

No. If you followed the recomendations to size your swap space to
total RAM, then this tells you that paging has yet to begin.

> c) You hear constant noise from your hard drive.

No. This tells you that you need more RAM.

> d) The CPU utilization level is near 100%

No. This tells you that there are too many processes
for your CPU speed.

e) The swap space free is near zero.