[vox-tech] can YOU be certified?!?

Micah Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 02:31:02 -0700

Peter Jay Salzman writes:
 > Based on observation and the output from the top command, which of the
 > following pieces of information tells you that swap space needs to be
 > increased?
 >
 > a) The amount of available memory nearly equals the amount of used
 >    memory.

This is not a bad sign at all; assuming memory means strictly RAM (as
it does in top). This probably just means the VM manager is working
efficiently.

 > b) The amount of available swap space nearly equals the amount of
 > RAM.

No prob here...

 > c) You hear constant noise from your hard drive.

Prob here...

 > d) The CPU utilization level is near 100%

Prob here, but not with swap :)

I'll go with (c). If I'm right though, it means it's kind of a trick
questions, since top had nothing to do with the correct answer. But
it's still a worthwhile question, since top would be a natural place
to look.

If it had been:

a) The amount of available swap space nearly equals the amount of used
swap space, AND the amount of memory nearly equals the amount of used
memory

Then I'd have to pick (a).

Did I win the prize? :)

-Micah