[vox-tech] hold on to your hats - perl vs python

Doug Huckaba vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

Today, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[snip]
> > And lets not forget awk - a pleasant, well behaved,
> > easily learned language. It's yet one more great Unix
> > tool for manipulating text and the odd system-admin
> > chore. It's been around alot longer than Ruby or Python
> > (maybe even longer than Perl), which is a plus. I'm
> > an OOP advocate, but most simple text-processing and
> > sys- admin doesn't lend itself neatly to OOP style
> > so those benefits of OOperl, Ruby & Python seem
> > dubious.
>
> not to start a thread or anything, but i used to use awk and sed for all

too late...

> my text processing needs, before i ever knew what perl or linux was.
> i'd call awk alot of things: powerful, stable, old.   i'd never call it
> "pleasant".  for one, its error messages are very close to useless[1].
>
> i'm not sure i'd call it easy to learn[2], either.  i've written some
> pretty hairy awk scripts.
>
> i'd certainly call it older than perl.
>
> pete
>
> [1]: i used awk/sed exclusively on a sunos machine, before i ever knew
> about linux.  i've never used gawk.  maybe gawk is easier to use and has
> better error reporting.  but sun's awk on sunos was ridiculous.  the
> time differential between using awk/sed and using perl for advanced text
> processing is absurd.

Sun's awk is actually mawk, I found this because I had created a fairly
complex ksh/awk script on linux systems at home only to get to the office
and find that mawk behaves differantly to the switches and my *awk scripts
wouldn't work. Back to the drawing board...

-doug