[vox-tech] Wine and HW access?

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:28:46 -0700

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>

> <background_information>
> Last night I was looking for a manual for my Radio Shack 15-1994 Universal
> Remote. I found one, but also found something else. This thing has a 'JP1
> interface' for programming. Apparently someone figured out how to talk to the
> thing and hook it up to a PC. I just spent $6 at Radio Shack and spent half
> an hour building the parralel inteface. I fired up VMware, created a virtual
> LPT1 that talks to the remote using /dev/parport0 and IT WORKS!
> </background_information>

that's very impressive.  note that one of the selling points of vmware
is that it handles calls to serial and || port.  it also has limited usb
too.

> Anyway, can Wine intercept access to the printer port and support it as
> VMware does?

wine boasts parallel port access too.  transgaming (winex) has it turned
off by default for some reason.  if you use winex, you'll have to
download the cvs version and compile it yourself.  at least, that's what
was explained to me (i had posted a question of printer access under
winex).

pete