[vox-tech] mail / DNS question

Jan Wynholds vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:34:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Pete:

Maybe point your MX record at belial.ucdavis.edu?  I know very little about
this, but from looking at RECEIVED stamps on email:

It looks like the exchanger knows about the DN and the IP, so if there is a DN
that points to the correct IP, the DN is all it needs?  I don't know why it's
true, I only know what is :)

I don't know why you would need a DN instead of an IP, but that is the
way that our records come up:

# nslookup
> set type=MX
> dminfo.com
Server:         xx.xx.xx.xx
Address:        xx.xx.xx.xx#53

Non-authoritative answer:
dminfo.com      mail exchanger = 5 mail.dminfo.com.

dminfo.com      nameserver = the.big.nameserver
dminfo.com      nameserver = another.big.nameserver.
mail.dminfo.com internet address = xx.xx.xx.xx
the.big.nameserver              internet address = xx.xx.xx.xx
another.big.nameserver          internet address = xx.xx.xx.xx

Seems a bit weird to me.

HTH,

jan