[vox-tech] Question: mod_dav.1.0.3 + apache.1.3.26 and CR/LF issues w/ MacOS+MSWin

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:39:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> I am only now learning about WebDAV, but since it is built on http, it
> ought to be as interoperable as http is, so something seems odd about
> this.
>
> To be specific, I _thought_ there was a standard for on-the-wire text
> files through http... CRLF format, and clients were supposed to be
> responsible for translating to and from their own formats.  Is there
> something systemically wrong with all these clients, or is the ContentType
> header just not set right?

Web browsers seem to do this. However, when testing "MS Web Folders" and
"Cadaver" I have found they transmit the files with the actual
line termination encoding of the file.

This is not a problem when using something like dreamweaver, front page,
Netscape Composer, since they "render" the HTML in a layout and do not
care about line termination.

I have not verified this is the case with Goliath or the one built-into
Mac OS X with the iDisk.

-ME